[Gpdd] [Announcement] Poor Vincent

Rebecca Wilmot rebecca.wilmot at permabondeurope.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 05:28:30 EST 2004

Hi GP's

Poor Vincent....We noticed he was poorly Christmas Eve, (sat in corner,
hunched up, not eating).  My boyfriend rushed him to the vet.  They
examined him and found a swollen kidney.  They gave him a shot of
antibiotics and some Baytril to give him daily.

Christmas day - no improvement.  He was becoming lethargic.  I got hold
of some syringe feed formula from one of my friends and fed him that.

He was admitted to the vets Christmas evening, where they looked after
him until Saturday.  We visited Vincent during this time and he seemed
to improve, we took some of his favourite food with us and he made an
effort to eat.  I took him home the next day as the vet changed shift
and I did not trust the replacement vet.  He kept calling Vincent 'she'
and that ovary problems are common in guinea pigs.  Needless to say I
didn't leave him at this vets (Beech House, Southampton).

By the evening Vinnie was laying on his side not doing a lot at all, I
was syringe feeding every half hour but he had stopped passing urine.
We took him to another vets (Riverside) who subsequently referred us to
an expert.  We drove to Andover to see him.  The vet x-rayed Vincent and
found three big bladderstones and his bladder had burst, leaking into
his abdominal cavity.  He didn't bring him round from the x-ray as
chances of survival were miniscule.

My boyfriend and I and Vincent's grandparents are devastated.  Jimmy pig
is missing his friend.

The GP expert said it may have been triggered off by a urinary tract
infection Vincent had some months ago.  Apparently the scarring leaves
them more prone to bladderstones.  If only I had known about this expert
vet before it was too late, Vincent could have been monitored and the
stones could have been nipped in the bud.  Any one in the area who is
interested in this Guinea Pig Vet, his name is Mr Chitty and he is based
at the Strathmore Vetinary Clinic, in Andover, Hampshire.

Vincent was only two.  He was a special little pig, so friendly, he
always came up to greet you and rub noses.  He was a very squeaky pig, I
miss his squeak when I open the fridge or rustle a bag.

I am conscious that Jimmy will get lonely without a friend.  My
boyfriend is not keen on getting another animal as he gets so upset when
they die.  Jimmy has never been on his own before.  He is still eating
although without Vincent's prompt, Jimmy doesn't squeak.  Also Jimmy
doesn't run around much without someone to follow, he is like a lost
lamb as Vincent always used to make all the important decisions.  Jimmy
is still a baby, not even a year old so I would like to get him a friend
otherwise he will have a very lonely life.  I am concerned though as
Jimmy is a bit of a bruiser; 1.5 kg / 3.3lbs and he can be a bit frisky.
Any advice on whether or not to introduce a friend to him would be
appreciated.  He is an indoor pig with plenty of human company.

Bec