[Gpdd] RE: (BEHAVIOR) <guinea pig noises>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 22:49:42 EST 2004

Hello Fran,

About your question on guinea pig noises, it's hard to give you an answer without actually hearing the piggie itself because they make so many noises! However, I did find this website:
http://beanmakers.com/#pop
On this site their are quick audio clips of various GP noises. If you could identify which one it is, than I could tell you what I think it means (or what my guinea pigs mean when they make those noises)
To me, "squeak 5" and "squeak 6" sound like guinea pig alarm calls, when they are scared, trying to get attention, or know that I am about to give them food. "squeak 1" and "squeak 3" are harder to identify (maybe someone else on the Gpdd could offer their opinion) but it sounds like an excited/alert GP, like the sound my GP's make when I walk into their room or when they have just been given lettuce. "squeak 2" and "squeak 7" sound like my GP's when they are just settling down in my lap, and are happy but still kind of bubbly. To me it seems like chattering. "Squeak 4" sounds like when my GP's are uneasy or slightly annoyed (but not the teeth-chattering annoyed sound, which is also on the site). Finally, the site has many clips of "purrs," which are pretty distinct and convey contentment or sexual excitement.
Hopefully this was a help! Oh, and I listened to these noises with my GP's on my lap and they were like "where is this other pig?" cute!
Lauren, Piglet, and Pooh Bear