[Gpdd] HEALTH lump in throat & gas

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 7 18:35:43 EST 2004

Hi Bill,
	I am going through the same thing with one of my
rescues...Little Bear.  About a month ago, I first noticed them in his
throat area, vet diagnosed as "lumps".  He had 2 lanced and drained and
was put on a course of Bactim suspension.  One went away, but the other
persisted, while still another began to present itself.  Back to the vet
to have those lanced.  More Bactrim, then a third lancing.  This last
time, we switched him to Cipro.  He still had one large lump that was
hanging on, so he had an actual lumpectomy 2 days ago to remove the
"capsule" of scar tissue that kept a pocket of stuff that wouldn't heal.
The Cipro seems to be more aggressive in treating this.  From what I
understand, it can be contagious to other cavies, but I have had no
issues so far.  I'm concerned with the # of times he has had anesthesia,
but he seems to be doing very well at the moment.  The 3 lancing
episodes were just a very mild dose as opposed to when he had the
lumpectomy.  From this experience, it doesn't seem to me that these
lumps would heal effectively without being lanced and drained.  Though,
I could be wrong!
	Does anyone know what I can do about a gassy sow?  I had
mentioned before that she has so much gut movement and gas that she
looks and feels pregnant.  I have cut her pellets to almost nothing, and
she gets lots of excellent hay and her usual quality veggies.  I've
heard that Tagamet or Pepcid can be used, but I don't know how or at
what dosage.  She never acts painful, is very sweet and has a normal
activity level.  What about yogurt...does that help to balance out the
gut bacteria???
	I'm still new to the digest, and am really enjoying it!  At the
moment, I have 10 GP's of my own and 7 who are available for
adoption...all are rescues and I'll be an official rescue shelter soon!

Thanks, Michelle