[Gpdd] HEALTH: Mites??

Kristi Smith ksmith at dolores.k12.co.us
Thu Jan 8 10:33:37 EST 2004

Hi!  So Abner is back from vacation and he definitely has some scabs on his back with a bit of missing fur.  The description in my book pretty much fits what he seems to have...  "Trixacarus cavie (a specific mite that guinea pigs are susceptible to) causes the guinea pig to lose patches of hair, where the skin will become red and scabby.  Severely infested guinea pigs will run around wildly and in circles..."  Though he doesn't exactly run around wildly, I have seen him just sort of take a quick lap around the cage here and there.  One source said all I need to do is REALLY clean out the cage and remove all bedding.  I did that, but it seems like he needs to be treated.  Do I need to go to a vet or does anyone have any suggestions??    Thank you!

P.S.  The new baby (Sophie)  is doing well.  Still a bit scared, but adjusting (I think!)