[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Petunia's pregnant!

judith sharamitaro shim1990 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:56:31 EST 2004

Hi to every pig and every person!   Turns out my newest piggie, Petunia, is pregnant!  We had our suspicions, but even our vet couldn't tell.  (Of course that was three weeks ago.)  This week, it became very evident she's very pregnant!  I have already lined up three potential homes (with marvelous, responsible, caring people), and could get more if necessary.
Having no experience with guinea pigs' birth, and having no idea when Petunia's due,  I'm hoping to get some imput from you experienced slaves out there.
First, any signs to look for indicating she's nearly due?  As I said, she exploded this week.  I've had her 26 days, and the shop I got her at said she'd been away from male guinea pigs for at least a week.  That means she's a minimum of 33 days along, better than half way.  Of course, that's the least pregnant she is!
Second, Petunia is now living with my dear old Porky.  If Petunia delivers while still with Porky, do you think Porky will bother the babies?  Petunia adores Porky, and I hate to separate them longer than necessary.
Third, any tips, advice, information anyone would kindly offer on care, feeding, etc, of mom and babies??

We are very excited and very nervous about the big event!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                                                        Thanks!
                                         Judi, Porky, Petunia, and the gang...remembering Corky forever