[Gpdd] MISC- Cats & Piggies

Louise August laugust at umich.edu
Sat Jan 10 11:55:21 EST 2004

About cats and piggies - my two cats were already adults when the pigs
arrived and have shown little interest in the pigs even when they are in
their floor pen. HOWEVER, I wouldn't trust them for a second without direct
supervision - I never even turn my back. They are cats after all and those
instincts could always take over. What they do with their mouse toys makes
me shudder.

Cat bites can be fatal for rodents (birds, too), even a small injury that
would seem inconsequential for a human. The vet said it has to do with
feline mouth flora being especially toxic to small animals. It would be too
sad if an injury or even (God forbid) a fatality occurred because of my
failure to provide adequate security for little pigs that can't protect
themselves.

Because I don't trust the cats, the C&C pig palace has an enclosed top made
of the same grids. Cats can't get in and if they were tempted to jump on
top, which might terrorize the pigs, the grids would be very uncomfortable
for their feet and hopefully discourage further attempts. It helps to give
me some peace of mind.

Love from all of us,
Louise and her masters, Phineas, Delilah, Hillary, Pandora, Mostly,
Neville, and Mr. Norman, the rat