[Gpdd] re: [MISC] <guinea pig patrol>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 14:22:12 EST 2004

Dear Susi and the OP's,
Thanks for the update from the pig patrol. I actually started working as a cashier at a PetsMart in New Hampshire this fall. I can only speak for what I've seen at this store, but we do seem to take decent care of all our animals, for a large chain but even just for a pet store in general. (and I'm really not just saying that because I work there, I've seen probably like everyone some pretty bad conditions in other pet stores) However, you said that the GPs you saw didn't get any hay or fresh fruit. I've never paid attention to this when I pass by the piggies, but I'll ask someone in the specialty department when I go in today whether we just feed pellets or what, and what the store policy is. (And if it's the same throughout the country). And we actually are allowed to refuse to sell an animal to someone if we think it's going to be used as food, except for the "feeder fish" and crickets :(, although I'm sure sadly occasionally this may occur anyway. As far as your concern about the
 sick animals in the back, again, I can only speak from what I've seen so far. We recently recieved three young GPs in who had mites. They were kept in the back room, where we keep our new arrivals and quaranteened animals, where they were treated. As far as I know they all recovered and have been sold. We do have a policy of sending sick animals to the vet (I believe we use the local humane society vet down the street) to be treated. If an animal needs to be euthanized, we bring it to the vet, we don't use them as "feeders" or put them in freezers (horror stories I've heard about other pet stores). Anyway, my opinion may obviously be biased, but you can be sure that I care more about any animal than about the reputation of some pet store chain that pays me as much as any other part-time job (not that I'm complaining, mind you!). The only thing I object to is the tiny containers our betta fish our sold in. Supposedly they can survive in them, but I'm sure it's no fun. Fortunately,
 they sell out fast and find new homes quickly. What I would reccomend you do, is casually ask if there is a manager you could talk to (there's always a few around), and ask him/her if the store takes sick animals to the vet. Ask the specific name of the vet, and even call the place to verify. If you want, you could even ask the manager, or an associate if you could see where the sick or quaranteened animals are kept in the store. The "back room" in the store I'm at is located right near the aquatics dept., and I imagine would not be a hassle to just open the door and show a customer the animals there. Anyway, I hope this helps, and remember, I'm not like "the PetsMart spokesperson", and if you find anything bad about their policies, I would seriously want to know about it!
Keep up with your piggie patrol! Piggies everywhere thank you!
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear

p.s. I'll also ask the name and location of our breeding facilities - whether they're like "piggie mills" or what! I'll give you an update.