[Gpdd] MISC <guinea pig patrol> local observations

Jason Turning jturning at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 11 17:43:10 EST 2004

Hello all,

I purchased my little guys from a Petco locally in Sacramento, CA. And I
had been in there buying Hamster/dog supplies a couple times before I
finally made up my mind to get some Cavies. So I had watched my pair
quite a bit, and specifically went back to that store to get them. They
had pellets, and I would always see some hay remnants suggesting they
got a good bit daily. The Cavies seemed happy, and I witnessed the
younger one popcorning on one visit. Even though it was a large divided
octagon aquarium with locked wire top, the Carefresh bedding was always
in good shape, appearing to be spot cleaned several times during the
day. And the cage was labeled with a local veterinarian who checked out
their animals. And I've had no problem with them so far, and they are
happy girls with healthy appetites.

My observations from Petsmart is that they also keep up the cages well,
but I've not seen any hay or hay remnants the couple times I've
observed. Pellet food was provided. One ding for Petsmart is that they
have a proprietary aquarium bank setup in their stores where the bottom
is used for Cavies or Chinchillas, with the size being pretty small per
aquarium section as well has having questionable ventilation. Since they
have a Banfield Veterinarian office in their stores, I'd would think the
animals get overseen by a veterinarian.

I would theorize that the animal care has a lot to do with the employees
that work there. The more knowledgeable, attentive employees can make
quite a difference in how the animals are cared for during their watch.
And at least in my area, the larger chains always have adequate
staffing. I wouldn't have a problem buying animals from either store
chain here locally.

--
Jason Turning
E-mail: jturning at att.net