[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] biting

Shannon Ayers s.ayers at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 16 13:25:46 EST 2004

Hello,

I am new to this site, having just got our first Guinea Pig, Ginger, 3 weeks
ago, she is now 8 weeks old.  She seems to be settling in just fine, we are
quite smitten with her and really enjoy spending time with her and making
sure she is happy.  Last week, however, she started biting and I have now
been bitten 3 times (that drew blood) not including many tentative nibbles
on my fingers.  I have done so much reading on this and I have found so many
possible reasons, its hard to figure out why Ginger may be doing it.  I
thought last night that maybe I am carrying her around too much and making
her nervous so this morning I just held her close on my lap, quietly.  My
daughter approached and put out her hand to pet Ginger and narrowly missed
being bitten.  This is very frustrating to me because I spent 2 months
researching and talking to people who have owned Guinea Pigs before making
the choice to get one, and I read and was told time and again that they do
not bite, which was a big factor in my decision to get one.  Anyway, I am
sure that with love and patience she will get over this but I thought I
would ask for advice anyway, if you think this is something she will just
outgrow or if there is something I can do to help her stop.

Shannon and Ginger