[Gpdd] CARE: "hiding house" opinions wanted

Ann Waite waitea at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 17:42:46 EST 2004

Hi All :)

I have been re -reading Peter Gurney's book lately (the first time I read it
I had borrowed it in a panic when I had pregnant sow).  I read with interest
his opinion that indoor piggies do not need a "hiding house" as it only
encourages them to run away and hide from us big ole monsters.  Out of
curiousity I took houses out of my piggers homes for a couple days and
noticed that the piggies didn't scurry when I walk by the cage as much.
Not knowing it was deliberate someone in the house restored their houses and
sure enough....they scurry in a hurry to get in them when anyone walks by
the cage again.

Obviously lots of you use houses as their has been lots of discussion lately
about exactly WHAT you buy for them.....has anyone else tried Gurney's
suggestion of leaving them out?  I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on
this (wide and varied though I expect they might be!)

Ann in Mass
Cookie Dough, Saucy, Snickers and Skittles