[Gpdd] Behavior: Biting

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 08:06:05 EST 2004

Hi --
    Young fearful piggies will sometimes bite. I wish I had discovered the
"piggie pouch" when my little Wilson was tiny. He was 3 weeks old when I
acquired him and he had a personality all his own. He was MY pick of the litter but
no one else's.  :)
       A piggy pouch is a fabric'Bag" sort of thing that they can crawl into.
Most, I believe are fleece lined.
       Wilkson was terrified when he was picked up -- little legs and arms
would flail about and he'd bite at the air trying to get a grip on something.
Had I had a little piggy pouch (you could fold a towel and use it as a sort of
pouch  or even make one -- they're sewed together on three sides and open at
the top) -- just make sure the piggy doesn't get away or fall.) I now know that
if I'd have lowered it into Wilson's cage and let him climb in he would have
felt much more secure. They love little hidey hole places.
       These days it's a treat for my guys when I lower the pouch and say
"climb in." I often hold them while they remain in the pouch peek proudly out.
Then they go in and out following whatever particular guinea pig inclination
they may have.
       Wilson nipped -- and drew blood more than once but he's great these
days. I've been told that the difference betwen a nip and a bite is whether or
not you need stitches! I doubt that that shall ever happen.
      Others here on the  list will better advise you but keep in mind that
it's often far and nervousness (and youth!) that prompts the biting... excuse
me, thee "nipping." (It does hurt tho doesn't it?  ;)
       Be patient and calm with him/her. I'm sure things will wok out.

All best,
Alge