[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR biting guinea pigs and children

Bellarobi at aol.com Bellarobi at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 11:55:13 EST 2004

Hi,
I just wanted to comment on guinea pigs that bite.
As far as I know, guinea pig's natural instinct tells them to run and hide
rather than defending themselves by biting. I have only had 2 piggies that nip
when nervous, not to defend themselves. Both happened to be longhaired. It also
seemed at times that they wanted to see if you are eatable. Because I do have
children, I will stay away from biters. I don't think that guinea pigs can be
trained not to bite, they either do or they don't. As much as I am committed
to all my animals, I am more committed to my children. As difficult as it is,
I have brought animals back to the store once I found out they bite. The
sooner that's done the better it is. What has helped is, before I buy a pet, I
spend a lot of time observing the animals at the store. I want to be able to touch
and hold the piggies that I am interested in several times. I can tell by
that which ones are easy going and which ones are nervous.  If a store tells you
that that is against their policy, walk out. I had most luck with Pets Mart.
They don't care how much time it takes me to pick one out. There is absolutely
no pressure. The other thing I have learned is not to let my children pick out
the pets, get their input? Maybe.
Last August we decided to buy a hamster. My 8 year old daughter was all
excited to pick it out. With her being there, I wanted to grant her wish by buying
the hamster she wanted but I was too distracted to do my usual " buying
tests". We were not even home when blood started flying. He bit my daughter pretty
deep in her finger. Once we were home, he bit me 3 times. Needless to say, he
went back to the store the next day. There is usually a 14 day guarantee on all
animals---they don't like it but the have to take them back. After that
ordeal I went by myself and found a very cute non-biter. He is much  fun for
everybody.
What I want to say is, please don't feel bad to return an animal when you
find out that it is a biter, especially when you have small children. Of course,
it is a given that children handle the animals with care and respect. If it
would be just me I could handle it, but children can get a lifelong fear or
dislike of pets when bitten. That is why I draw the line with biters.

just my opinion and experience,
best wishes,
Marion