[Gpdd] BEHAVIOUR - Biting Piggies

robyn ferguson robyn_ferguson at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:50:00 EST 2004

My two cents on the biting issue:

My piggie Lexie was a bit nippy when I first took her home, as were the two
rescue pigs i got. I am of the opinion that is worth giving nippy piggies a
chance as in many cases they are just scared and overreacting. It can
sometimes help to say NO! loudly when a pig bites and they will soon learn
not to. Resist the urge to put a piggy back in it's cage when it nips as it
will learn that the way to get back in its cage is to bite. Spending time
with the pig just doing normal things (I used to sit with the pig on a towel
on my lap and read a book) and not trying too hard to pat them before they
are ready can also build trust and reduce the piglet's panic level. It can
help to let the pig hide under a fold of towel the first few days while
he/she gets used to your smells and sounds. Lexie now only nips me when she
is extremely stressed (like when I had to give her a bath) and even then she
has progressed to warning nips rather than breaking the skin.
Having said that, many people have found that some piggies just don't like
to be held. This may be the case with your pig. My rescue pigs had been
dropped, ignored and manhandled by a small child and took a while to get
over their bad experiences but they came good in the end.
Good luck with your own piglet. Lucy and Lexie send soothing thoughts by
piggie telepathy.

Robyn.