[Gpdd] Behavior: Biting Piggies

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Wed Jan 21 11:51:32 EST 2004

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have much of a problem with my
piggies biting, but Snowy does get pushy sometimes.  It's mostly
when I have everypig on my lap at once, and I think CocoPuff's
loud 'purring' annoys her, or he isn't sitting where she thinks
he should.  And actually, she doesn't really bite, she just hits
him with her teeth, as if she's warning him.  Sometimes he
will raise his head up and hold that pose for a minute - either
he's warning her, or being submissive.  Occasionally my hand
gets in the way and she hits me instead - I think it embarrases
her, but there are no apologies.  Somewhere (online) I read a
couple of things to try, and one of them does work pretty well,
but it's not a cure.
It said to give a quick jerk of the hair on the back of their neck,
like their mom would do to reprimand them.  You have to be
gentle, of course, you don't want to hurt them or frighten them.
Usually I can just speak to her, maybe put my finger on her nose
and tell her to be nice. If that doesn't work (if she's PMSing), I
give a quick little tug and say "NO!".  That really gets her
attention, and she'll be good (at least for quite a while).  Of course,
I follow up with a firm, reassuring touch and reminder that I
still love her but she must be a good girl. (she probably really
lets CP have it later!)
Try that - I think I read it on a link from CavyMadness or one of
those.  I'll see if I can find it.
Good luck - remember, guinea pigs do not bite, do not climb, do not
jump . . . repeat, . . .
Susi and the OP's