[Gpdd] [Announcement] K. C., our beloved son

Michael Tanaka mtanaka at hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 23 03:06:19 EST 2004

Hello everyone and everypig.  On Wednesday late afternoon, K. C. was
drooling, it's a sign he does when he's not feeling well, and looking
horrible.  We assumed he was again gassy or blocked.  We've worked on him
before.  We stayed in town until 11 p.m. working on him.  Then we quickly
drove home (we live about 40 minutes away from work without traffic) and put
him on the massage pad and also syringed him mineral oil again in case he
did have a blockage.  We tried to syringe him critical care and water but he
didn't want it.  We tried to put food into his mouth and he would eat a
little of that.  But then he'd retch again.  About 3 a.m. we called the
emergency clinics but one was allergic to guinea pigs and the other didn't
know anything about guinea pigs.  We finally called our vet's house and left
a message on his machine.  He called about fifteen minutes later.  He asked
us questions and called in a prescription to the sister emergency clinic for
some reglan.  Since it wasn't a blockage we thought it might be something
like gut stasis.  We picked up the medicine around 4:30 and immediately gave
it to K. C. in the car.  Upon arriving home he tossed his head back and
tossed the blanket off of him.  I wasn't sure if that was a good sign.
Maybe he was hot.  But when we brought him inside, his body was jerky.  I
put the end of the water bottle in his mouth and said to Michael that maybe
he's having this reaction because the reglan is working with an empty
stomach.  So I suggested we hydrate him as much as we can and also syringe
critical care.  He barely drank any water.  Then I left the room for a few
minutes.  Came back and Michael was about to syringe the critical care.  He
looked at K. C., looked at me, stroked K. C.'s side, looked at me.  By then
my heart was in my mouth and then Michael put his head on K. C.'s body and
began to cry.  I just softly said, No!, shoved Michael aside and went to the
computer to write to people.  I came back, saw K. C. cuddled in his cozy cup
and just couldn't stop shouting, NO!  NO!  NO! and just crying
uncontrollably as I held him.  I was in such shock and disbelief.  Still am.
K. C. was only six years and four months old.  He was still a baby.  MY
baby.  We later dropped him off at the vet's to be ashed as I call it and I
just couldn't let go.  I kept saying I can't leave him here!  I can't let
him go!  I couldn't say goodbye so I said see you soon.

K. C. understood everything we said.  We had to be careful on what we said
around him.  One time, I mentioned about getting this doll or stuffed animal
that had clothes that would fit K.C . and he looked up at me with disbelief
and grumbled and grumbled to me.  We had our songs and we had our dances.  I
loved to sing 'Tarzan's' 'You'll be in my Heart' to him.  He'd look at me
throughout the whole song and when it came to 'just take my hand and hold it
tight' he'd wrap his 'fingers' around my finger.  It always tore at my
heart.  I loved it when we held hands.

We were somehow connected.  Although we didn't eat the same foods, whenever
I had the runs, so did he.  Whenever I forgot to drink enough water for the
day, so did he.  It's like we always felt the same thing.  Michael was
amazed at how similar we were in nearly everything.

He's my precious little boy and I'm going to miss holding him and cuddling
him and kissing him and telling him that I love him and that I'm proud of
him and stroking his long hair that I always loved to groom.  He is a cream
sheltie with a golden streak down his back.

I've cried so much today that I thought my eyes would be swollen shut.  I
just kept cuddling him all day, in disbelief.  I mean, how could this
happen?  I wasn't ready for it.  I don't think he was supposed to go yet.
There was still so much for us to do together.  So many more cuddles to
share, so many songs to share together, so many more dances to share
together, so many much more moments of life to share.

When we brought K. C. into our home, I promised to take care of him.
Obviously, I failed.  Otherwise, he'd still be here.

Thanks to all who've written to us so far.  I'll be sure to get to everyone.
I haven't had the time nor effort yet.

K. C., my beloved little boy, my little hairy guy, my son--I shall FOREVER
hold you in my heart.  I shall FOREVER love you.  I shall FOREVER be your
mommy and you my son.  I shall FOREVER be here for you.  Please remember me
as I hold you in my heart FOREVER.  I can not say goodbye.  So, see you
soon.

Love, mommy Corrine and foodman Michael