[Gpdd] [CARE] bedding adventures

Brian Hanly bhanly at clear.net.nz
Mon Jan 26 02:03:59 EST 2004

Hi everybody!
I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my bedding query.  So far, I am
experimenting with towels on one half of the homes and a layer of newspaper
based cat litter with pine bedding on top.  If this works, it would be the
cheaper option.  I found a New Zealand made pine bedding at Foodtown and
hope they continue to supply it as it is one quarter the price of the
American imports at Wetpets!  So far, my lovely boys seem very comfortable
with it.

As part of the ongoing bedding discussion, I have to say that newspaper did
not work well with us.  It was smelly and had to be changed daily.  This
created a ton of waste at our place where we do try and compost most things.
For a while I got vast bags of shredded paper from work.  Same problems.
Hay was not absorbent enough.  Farm hay by the bale was cheap but dusty. Hay
from the pet shop was too expensive given that it was not absorbent and
needed throwing out every other day.  Towels have found me constantly in the
laundry, spending a fortune washing the darn things.   AAArrrggh!

Out of interest, any other New Zealanders on the digest?  Yes, we are the
setting for Lord of the Rings.  Pretty impressive huh!  Come over and see
for yourselves and bring those piggies too. There can never be too many of
them!

Charlotte