[Gpdd] Re:The Passing of Little John

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 14:56:02 EST 2004

Sarah

Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of Little John - and I
want you to know, I have been there. When Bâfreur was dying of pneumonia, I
spent what were to be his last few days injecting him with fluids and trying to
syringe feed him. I really thought we could save him. I absolutely hated doing
it - I am crying even now as I remember how awful it was. As you may or may not
know, guinea pig skin is quite tough, and the vet had expected me to reuse
the needles. I only did it because I believed I could save him. I told him that
when he was better I was going to give him his own harem. I believed it too.

He crossed The Bridge just as I was giving up my final attempt to syringe
feed him. By then I had already told my partner that I felt we needed to consider
euthanasia if he hadn't improved by the next day. I had tried a position
recommended to me by someone on this digest. I was doing my very best. He passed
away, and it hurt so very, very much. I think what hurt most was the pain and
suffering I had inflicted on him during his last days. I had never inflicted
pain on anything before.

But Sarah, I am sure my Bâfreur, like your Little John, must have realised
that I was trying to help him. They must, at the very least, understand that
after they have crossed. When they see our distraught grief, they must
understand. So don't fret. I know it's easier said than done. OK, I admit, I still fret
over it. But you wanted to know if anyone else had experienced something
similar. Well, I have - I bet loads of us have. You are never alone when you
subscribe to this special digest. I care - I share your suffering - I understand.

Condolences to all others who have lost piggies. God how it hurts, huh? But
they have gone on to better things - and we will see them again.

Debbie