[Gpdd] Re: Bedding

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Tue Jan 27 12:13:17 EST 2004

It seems that the common consensus has been that most newspapers nowadays
use a soy-base ink, which should be safe.  I know when I worked at a
newspaper, the freshly printed newspapers did give off some sort of fumes
that made me sneeze and my eyes water, but a few hours after printing that
seemed to go away.  I would be more concerned if we were talking about using
this as food, but for bedding, I don't think they would eat that much would
they?  Of course, I worry every time I catch one of my piggies nibbling on
something other than approved food, but they probably are OK.
This is being suggested as a bedding material where they don't seem to have
much else in the way of other options.  I did used pine shavings (I had read
that it was OK, just not to use cedar because of the fumes it gives off, and
I already knew about that from personal experience.  I used to get an
immediate headache just walking across the dairy arena at the fair that was
several inches deep in cedar shavings).  I never noticed any ill effects
from the pine.  But since building their condo, I have carpeting
(indoor-outdoor) for flooring and a shallow 'potty box' of the pine shavings
on newspaper in a corner on both floors.  I also put layers of newspaper
under the carpeting, and cleanup is much easier.  I have two sets of the
carpeting, so one can be getting cleaned and dried while the other is in
use.  They really seem to enjoy the carpeting, although I do occasionally
catch Snowy just sitting in her potty box - probably reading the newspaper!
When I put them down for floor time, now I also put one of the potty boxes
down on some newspapers, with a pizza box above it for a bit of privacy.  It
saves a little on clean up, but I probably need to put out a couple more, in
the more 'remote' areas.
Another bedding choice that has been suggester are the pellets,  but I've
read somewhere that they were too much like their food pellets.  The writer
was concerned the piggies would consider both as food.
Whatever works for the individual, I suppose, you must go with. Price is an
important consideration for most of us, but we have to be sure we aren't
causing our piggies more problems.  Maybe give them an option, with an area
of something else they can sit on if they wish. (be sure to provide reading
material!)
Susi and the OP's