[Gpdd] Announcement: Another virus in the air...

GPDD Admin gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Tue Jan 27 20:12:51 EST 2004

Everyone,

Yes, there's *another* virus going around (WWDoom32, I believe). As usual,
it comes as an attachment. We're *not* shutting down the GPDD, because we
feel everyone is aware that viruses are out there, and will take
precautions and use common sense in dealing with them.

A member suggested downloading and using a freeware application called
"Ad-Aware" - this is an *excellent* idea! Ad-Aware has been in use on this
writer's computer for over two years (along with the Zone Alarm firewall).
Ad-Aware will find all kinds of buried, nasty stuff in your PC, and the
personal addition is free. The software itself is not expensive, so if you
try it and like it, buy a copy! (I did!).

Make sure your virus software data signatures are up to date. Today's virus
software makes updating as simple as clicking a button.

Always assume you are *not* safe, because you are always vulnerable, even
with virus checkers, personal firewalls and proggys like Ad-Aware. As long
as you are on your guard, you have a better chance of keeping your computer
- and more importantly, your files - safe.

Last, a reminder: The GPDD (or admins, or *any* "@gpdd.org" address) will
*never* send an attachment; if you get an e-mail that looks like it's from
us and has an attachment, assume it is a virus!

Be careful out there!

The GPDD Team