[Gpdd] Behavior: Re: single guinea pigs

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 21:42:08 EST 2004

Hi Kelly,
I have only one piggie and have always been
a solo-piggie Slave. My first 2 piggies were
fine as solo piggies and I lived alone with
them. I was gone all day at work, but when
I was home, they were allowed to run free.
They were Happy and got lots of attention
which is important since they are social
animals. My current piggie, Brownie Bear,
is my 3rd solo piggie, but I do think that
she would be a little Happier if she had a
piggie friend. She is Fun and Playful when
I'm home, but sometimes I feel like she is
lonely when I'm away at work. Now, I live
with my Hubby and he works out of the home,
but he travels a bit so Brownie is home alone
at times. I have talked to my Hubby about getting
her a piggie friend, but we both agree that in
our current situation, it wouldn't be the best
thing right now. We live in an apartment and
Brownie is free range and I have read so many
stories of piggies not getting along, I don't
know what I would do if I had fighting piggies.
I have an extra cage, but we don't have the
room to have both cages set up. And plus, I would
feel bad for the non-free range piggie. In
addition, I am allergic to my piggie, or rather
the hay that she rolls around in and so my Hubby
thinks that an extra pig would worsen my allergies.

So, I guess if your piggie seems lethargic and/or
depressed, perhaps getting him a piggie friend
would be ideal. But, if your piggie seems happy
and playful being a single piggie and you spend
lots of time with him, then I don't see anything
wrong with keeping him solo.

Good Luck!

      Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeeps,
         Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)

Hi all,
I was just wondering what ppl's opinions were on
keeping a single guinea pig on its own. I know it is
good to have two to keep each other company. Do you
think it is ok to keep one guinea pig if it will be
receiving lots of attention from the people it lives
with? Im thinking about having one of the guinea pigs,
presently living in my Dad's backyard, come live with
me and my 3 year old daughter in my unit. The second
cage i have is really only suitable for one guinea
pig. While the guinea pig will receive lots of
attention when we are home, i'm concerned it will
get lonely or bored during the day when im at uni and
my daughter is at kindy.

thanks for your help,
Kell