[Gpdd] CARE guinea pig handbook

Bellarobi at aol.com Bellarobi at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 00:37:49 EST 2004

Hi everybody,
I checked out  "The Guinea Pig Handbook" by Sharon L. Vanderlip, D. V. M.
from our library today.
You've got to look at the pictures...makes me want to go out and buy a herd
of them.
I have also found a lot of new and useful information in the book, especially
on bedding and hiding places, the ongoing topic at the GPDD.
Did you know that guinea pigs spend only 4% of their day sleeping and that
their sleep periods are not longer than six minutes at a time? They are active
for more than 20 hours in a day. I, like most owners, want them to have variety
and set up whole activity centers for them, yet, the book says that cavies
like to stay put in an area they know and where they feel secure. It says that
they spend most of their time in a shelter or hideaway...they do not like
change or new surroundings.
Come to think about it there is a lot of truth in that. When I set up the
piggy run a little different each time, it is almost like Poly and Sweetie have
little conversations about it. (mumbling and squeaking) After exploring, they
hurry back under their cage where they feel safe, unless, I am in the middle of
cleaning the cage, then they are mumbling, squeaking, and running all over
the place looking for it. It is not that they look scared, but they do want same
old, same old. I will keep that in mind from now on.

Marion