[Gpdd] [HEALTH] My poor baby has Bumblefoot

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 14:49:22 EST 2004

Well, just got back from the vets with my precious girls.  Good news is Daphie's hairloss on her back doesn't appear to be a skin infection as I had feared, the vet thinks it is called by a hormone imbalance caused by her ovarian cysts. I had read in Peter Gurney's book what you had to do if it was ringworm or mange (plucking the hair out, bathing, dipping) and Daphie and I did NOT want to go through that!

Bad news is Gemma has Bumblefoot and the vet says its bad.  Its gone deep into the tissue and she's not sure the meds are going to clear it up.  I am to give her .4ml of Baytril twice a day and .1ml of Metacam, a pain killer, once a day for two weeks then take her back for a check up. She thinks that its got so bad becuase Gemma is an unladylike little girl and will sit in her own poop and wee all day so I'm to change the whole bedding every day.  My poor baby is looking very miserable and she hates being syringe fed the meds and is looking at me like I am trying to hurt her.  I hate that, at least with kids you can explain its for their own good, but the girls just look at me like I am betraying their trust.

When the vet said she wasn't sure the meds would clear it up she frightened the life out of me. I knew the trip to the vet would be traumatic for the girls but thought once there it would be sorted.

I am doing the right thing for her, is there anything else I can do to help clear this up for by baby?

Any view appreciated

Beki in the UK with a relieved Daphie and miserable Gemma