[Gpdd] health: Ovarian cysts

nicola atton nic_a_99 at msn.com
Fri Jul 2 16:58:12 EDT 2004

I would like to thank heather for posting the link to the site about
hairloss. I went onto it as one of my pigs, Lily, a crested tort and white,
has been suffering from hair loss and has lost a lot of weight. I was
reading through the site and noticed that Lily's symptoms match exactly the
symptoms for ovarian cysts. That is:

-a loss and reditribution of weight (thin shoulders and pelvis, and fatter
belly)
-Hair loss - a general thining of hair and later, loss on the sides of the
abdomen, healthy skin, no scratching.
- sexually aggressive, she has been mounting her cagemate a lot recently.
- and enlarged nipples (not sure about this but they do same a little larger
than the other females I have)

So I shall be phoning the vets on monday to book her in.

It said that the treatment was to spay her, but she is 5 years old now and
rather thin so I will be very worried about her going under anaesthetic!

I would be very grateful if anyone else who has encountered this could relay
their experiences to me and tell me if these symptoms do actually indicate
ovarian cysts.

thanks in advance,

Nicola (and Lily, who incidently is sitting beside me eating a carrot and
has just weed on the desk!)