[Gpdd] [Rescue] <spca adoption>

Lauren Cordeiro Lauren_Cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Mon Jul 5 23:31:53 EDT 2004

Hi Alicia, Coco Puff and Trix,
Neutering males carries a risk but if you get a good experienced vet the risk is minimal. Shop around for vets as much as possible. Ask the vets how much experience they have performing that specific procedure. Ask them as many details as possible, what kind of anesthesia and stitches they use, and whether they use laser or scalpel. Ask them what percentage of pigs they perform the surgery on have secondary infections or complications, and whether they have ever had any animals die from the surgery. The vet I found was experienced and it wasn't too risky in his or my opinion. It was definitely worth having my two babies live together.

I have a neutered boy and a spayed girl who have lived together since birth, (but were seperated until they were fixed) and they are best friends. I would say it's different for you, because you are just introducing them. I wouldn't introduce them until at least a day or so after the surgery, because the boy might be a little stressed out afterwards. But I do remember that just a few hours after the surgery, the babies both seemed back to normal. The next day they were fully awake and poppin around like nothing had ever happened. Oh, and the good vets will tell you this, but just to remind you - guinea pigs do much better in surgery if they eat right before and after the operation. Unlike cats/dogs/humans, who have to fast, gpigs and rodents can not vomit so there is no need to remove food, and in fact doing so could even be harmful.

Impaction isn't as common a problem in neutered males, although it depends on how old your boy is when he gets the surgery. Impaction sometimes occurs because the weight of the testicles eventually weakens the anal muscles of the boar - so obviously males neutered at a young age wouldn't be as likely to develop that problem. Check to see that he's pooping regularly. My two babies have distinct poopie shapes so I know who does what! I've heard that impaction in neutered boars is rather rare.

If you have any more questions about my boar's surgery let me know.
Wheeeeks,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear