[Gpdd] [MISC] Daphnie, the babies, wringworm and new hutch

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 15:00:46 EDT 2004

Hi All

Its been a while since I've been able to post so please forgive the mix of topics in this email.

Firstly, my beautiful Daphie passed away while I was on holiday last month.  She was fine when I left her in the care of my cousin but mid week my cousin phoned to say Daphie was unable to move her back legs and she was taking her to the vet that afternoon.  The vet phoned me to say it looked bad but they would nurse her for 24 hours to see if there was improvement.  Sadly the vet called me the next day to say there was no improvement, she had done tests and the muscles in her back legs seemed to have just wasted away.  I had to make the most horrible call of my life and give the vet permission to put her to sleep.  I felt so helpless being away and not able to do her the smallest honour of being there for her at the end.  But, there was nothing that could be done and it would have been a disservice to her to make her suffer waiting for me to return.  She was 7 years old and had lived a good life and now she can run and play with Gemma, her cagemate who passed away in February this
 year.

On a different note, the three babies I had brought into our home to keep Daphie company have started to settle in now. Its amazing how there names now seem so inappropriate - Charity is anything but, she has risen to the rank of top pig and she makes sure the others know it!  Faith - I now call Faithless as the trust she seemed to show in me has evaporated. I only have to reach for my coffee and she hits the stairs running!  Hope has lived up to her name though.  I called her that because she was a tiny runt when I got her and I hoped she would fill out and become a happy healthy pig.  Although she's still a bit smaller than the others she certainly makes up for it.  She has so much energy, she has what I call psycho moments where she just charges up and down the stairs in their hutch for 10 minutes or so.

Talking of hutch, the modifications to the hutch are complete and the kids are loving it.  I had a single storey wooden hutch which my cousin has added a lower storey to, added stairs with a half landing, and added perspex sides and roof to.  It took a couple of days for the kids to become proficient on the stairs but they charge up and down now like its nothing.  They love sitting on the landing, specially since I added a cuddle cup for them, which they now fight over.

We've had trouble with wringworm but the vet got us Intrafungol for.  After three seperate weeks of treatment we seem to have it under control, for now anyway.

Hope everyone and everypig is happy, healthy and comfy

Beki
Faithless, Hope and Charityless