[Gpdd] MISC-- Petco and gpigs, also brief soapbox!

Kimberleigh kimi at thiscrazysite.com
Tue Jul 6 18:15:30 EDT 2004

Somebody wrote in on one of the earlier digests wanting to know if it was true
that Petco kills small animals as opposed to taking them to the vet... I am
just getting caught up on my email.

I worked at Petco for two years. When a small mammal becomes sick, it's taken
to the back room. The vet is consulted and if the animal is past help (this is
unfortunately not uncommon, as pets destined to go to pet stores are often
horribly inbred and shipping is very hard on any animal-- what can I say, pet
retail royally sux) they are indeed euthanized. But if the problem is
treatable they are kept back there and treated until they are in good enough
shape to return to the store and be sold.

I'm not sure where you heard that but if it was from anybody from PETA don't
believe a word from their mouths. I am a big believer in the rights of animals
and better treatment for them (and also wish that the only people allowed to
sell animals were dedicated hobbyists and not stores or pet mills). But from
what I've seen and heard of PETA I can't stand the way they do things. The
rest of us who are trying to get something legitamate done for critters get
branded as "wackos" and not taken seriously because of freaks like PETA. I
visited the website once... it's all propaganda. There's not one source listed
nor anybody to contact and ask for sources. There's a kid's page that is a
pack of brainwashing if I ever saw it. There's an illustration of Ronald
MacDonald holding a bloody knife and a chicken... not kid-friendly if you ask
me! When I was a kid in 4-H we had to post guards in the barns because PETA
"crusaders" were going to fairs and putting antifreeze in the animals' water
because "they'd rather die than not be free." Suuuure, didya ask them, you big
bullies?! So yeah, ignore them completely, and until they find a more mature,
adult, and responsible way to reach their ends never give them your support.
That's my two cents on 'em, anyhow.

*steps off soapbox*

If you are truly concerned about the animals at your local Petco, or at any
pet store for that matter, make a pest of yourself if you see them mistreated,
and if nothing gets done, report them to the authorities.
--
~~Kimi
http://www.thiscrazysite.com