[Gpdd] Rescue: Tri-County Shelter (Southern Maryland 230+ Piggies)

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 18:32:05 EDT 2004

Hello Slaves!
Yesterday, after work, I went to go see the Southern
Maryland piggies. Since the shelter was closed on
Monday, I was afraid that the cages would be really
bad. But, they weren't. Someone had volunteered
earlier that day and there were only 4 or 5 cages that
I thought were yukky and I fixed those up real good.
The piggies were happy. These pigs were so funny
because some of them would make a fuss if they saw me
giving another cage some hay and/or pellets since
they needed some too. I kept telling everypig to be
patient and that I was moving as fast as I could. :-)

Judi (the GP/Rabbit Rescue Goddess for D.C./NoVa area)
reminded me to check on the little sick ones because
they are in a room off to the side and sometimes they
are forgotten because they are out of sight. So, I
made sure to check on them. They were so precious.
Well, after I thought I had gotten everyone--water
bottles filled, pellets refreshed, and a handful
timothy hay, I thought everypig was Satisfied. But,
there was this one pig that kept making such a Fuss!
So, I came over and asked her what was wrong??? And
she started grabbing her water bottle and yanking it
about and then I realized that her water bottle was
completely Empty. Leah Slave must have been tired cuz
I couldn't believe I almost missed that. It was a
green water bottle and had sort of a greenish tint
on the whole water bottle, so it looked full to me,
but it was actually empty. Of course, I apologized
to the little one and quickly filled the water and
replaced it and she started drinking and drinking
and drinking. She was one Thirsty Pig!

Three more guinea pigs were dropped off that evening.
They each had their own cage. So, I tended to them as
well. I can't believe that people would just abandon
their pets at a shelter. I know sometimes people
don't have a choice, I suppose, but I just can't
imagine leaving Brownie Bear at a shelter, hoping
for the best. It took me about 1 hr/15 minutes to get
home (I made great time because I was speeding) and
right after I got home, I threw everything down and
went over to Brownie Bear, picked her up and just
held her tight. I told her that I Loved her over and
over. The shelter is a sad place and although it
feels good to care for the piggies and make sure they
are okay, it is still depressing to see them all
cooped up...waiting for the Court's final ruling.

Please give your piggies an extra Hug today and say
a prayer for the Southern Maryland piggies.

       Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps,
               Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)