[Gpdd] SILLY/MISC-- funny piggie anectode

Kimberleigh kimi at thiscrazysite.com
Sat Jul 10 23:26:25 EDT 2004

Hi all

I just wanted to share this with you because I thought it was amusing.
Overworried and overprotective piggie mom that I am, I sometimes feel intense
guilt because of college. Her Pigness, the great and wonderful Chloe, doesn't
get the lavished attention that is obviously her due and occasionally I worry
that her diet is less than it could be. Am I giving her enough hay? Enough
veggies? etc. Well, her eyes are bright and clear, she's clean, her little
rump was clean, feet were fine, nose fine, teeth fine, and her fur is as usual
thick soft and very shiny, and shedding nonstop in copious amounts no matter
how much you brush, comb, back-brush, blow-dry, pet, etc. (I really don't know
how her coat stays so thick because she sheds enough to make another pig!) But
I still was worried. What if the shedding was a bad thing? And was she of the
proper physical condition? How about muscle tone? She looked a bit skinny to
me. ACK! She's too skinny! I'm a bad mom! So I took her to the pet store with
me when we went to get food and I had all my friends I'd worked with at Petco
for so long take a look at her. It was really sort of funny--

Terri: Oh hi hon how are you? Don't see much of you since you've been busy
with school.
Me: Oh I know, it's really too bad. Hope you are well.
Terri: yup! Who is this cutie?
Me: This is my baby Chloe. Hey, listen, take a look at her, does she look too
skinny to you? Feel her.
Terri: No she seems ok to me, I think you're just worrying too much (with a
look suggesting-- "again! only we pet lovers know all about this, wink wink")

April walks up: Hey Kimi hon, long time no see! Aww, who is your cute pig?
Me: That's the Chloe
April: she's in such good shape, what a cutie! My god what a tummy! Is she
pregnant?

Ha ha ha! I guess that answers my paranoya.

Moral of the story- you are around your pigs all the time, so you're in the
best place to determine when they are off. That's advantageous as they often
try to hide illness, so us slaves can catch things sooner if we're dilligent
(unless you have a very clever little concealer). But it is also our downfall.
Always know when to wait and see and when to make a fuss and call the vet-- a
tough juggling act and delicate balance but trying to perfect this is well
worth the effort. It always helps to have friends or family who love and know
pets to give you a second opinion before you run to the vet. Keep that support
system in place! If you think something's off, ask at least two people who you
think know well enough to give you an intelligent answer, then go from there!

teehee, anyone want to join Paranoid Pet Parents Anonymous? ^_^

--
~~Kimi
http://www.thiscrazysite.com