[Gpdd] [Rainbow Bridge] <Phoebe>

Lauren Cordeiro Lauren_Cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Sun Jul 11 23:17:31 EDT 2004

Hi Libby,
I am so sorry that you had to got through so much trauma leading up to your beloved Phoebe's death. Know that she is happy now, and no longer in pain. You did everything you possibly could have, and Phoebe knows that. Unfortunately, clearly the network of vets let you down, and although it does not help anything now, your story made me very angry. Here's what I would suggest you do - not out of spite, but because you owe it to other animals who may end up in the same situation. When your regular vet gets back, tell him exactly what happened. That should not have happened, and if the damn vets didn't know how to do an ultrasound well they should have contacted someone who did. But then again I am not a vet, and perhaps your vet would have done something differently. But given that she had known gall bladder problems, checking the gall bladder to me would seem like a no-brainer.
In the future, get the names of vets that can consult with emergency vets for if you are ever in that type of situation again. Ask your regular vet when he returns whether they have any such people to consult with in case the exotics vet isn't in.
Here is the info - sorry, it's copied and pasted from somewhere I just don't remember where!
Veterinarians can consult with the following schools and other vets.

The Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine can be reached by calling (607) 253-3060. They are considered one of the best Veterinary Schools and gladly consult.

Texas A&M Veterinarian Medical Center is another top notch school, they can be reached at (409)-845-4300.

Dr. Susan Brown can be reached by e-mail for consultation with your vet. She is the Veterinarian that Sandi Ackerman has mentioned. BarbieD14 at aol.com

Drs. Valerie and Kevin Blaes are also available for consultation. They are members of the ACBA and pretty much work on piggies and bunnies only! B1nnyDoc at aol.com

Dr. Connie Orcutt established and is head of the avian and exotic pet service at Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston. She sees a large proportion of small mammals in her practice including many guinea pigs. Many animals are referred in to her, but she also is available to consult with veterinarians by phone. She can be reached at (617) 522-7282. corcutt at angell.org

I am so sorry for your loss. I send you lots of piggie hugs and kisses from Piglet and Pooh Bear.

Wheeeks,

Lauren