[Gpdd] Re: Announcement- New Piggie Slaves with questions

Brad Ellis ellis_chiphi at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 15:20:31 EDT 2004

Hey all,

I've been away for a while so I'm catching up a little bit...  On the home front, I lost one of my guinea pigs recently.  The day that my wife and I were moving into a new place I received a frantic call that Oreo couldn't lift her head and that she was moving uncontrollably.  She had gotten hold of a plastic bag the week before ( I was out of town) and had eaten a HUGE amount of it.  I think the her ensuing blockage created a toxicity problem and the neurological disorder was a result of it.

The reason I'm writing though is to recommend an alternative bedding option to all those who have been asking what to use.  After trying several brands and kinds of bedding I asked the local farm and feed store about the bedding that they were using.  The store used horse bedding for their small animals.  The bedding is pelleted sawdust, it gives off no odor (pherols), absorbs three times its weight in moisture, and it only costs me $4.95 for a thirty pound bag, as opposed to $15.00 for Carefresh or other virtually identical products.  I use a bag a piece for each of my guinea pigs cages a week (2' by 4' with a 2" tray for bedding).  That totalled out to around $15.00 a week, only a dollar more than Aspen for a better product.  Any farm and feed store should have something like this.  I highly reccommend this type of bedding.  If your gps toss bedding out of their cages (as mine do)  it is far easier to clean up than shavings and changing the bedding is far easier too; you just scoop
 it out and throw it away.  Better yet, it biodegrades quicker than shavings and uses scrap wood so it's better for the environment!  My best to all of you and my condolences on the losses that I've read about recently.

Brad Ellis
Friend to Muse and Silent Bob
remembering Lady Jay, Frederick and recently my tough girl, Oreo.