[Gpdd] Health: Piggie in pain!

nicola atton nic_a_99 at msn.com
Thu Jul 15 16:14:52 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my posting a while back about
Lily possibly having ovarian cysts. Well I took her to the vets and he
agreed that it was definately something along those lines, but hormonal
treatments wouldn't work, because he couldn't be sure exactly what it was.
There are many problems that can cause exactly the same problems, such as
renal cysts or a tumour in the pituitary gland.

So we agreed that we would x-ray her to try and determine the problem. So
today I took her to the vets today for her x-ray. They phoned me at work and
said that nothing was showing up on the x-ray so they wanted to do
explorative surgery. Well it turned out that it was indeed ovarian cysts, so
they spayed her.

I have bought her home this evening and she is in an awful lot of pain! She
is hopping instead of walking and she squeaks every time she makes even the
slightest movement! She will not eat or drink anything and I can't syringe
feed her because she hides her head in a corner and screams in pain if I
pick her up!

I don't know if this is normal for a pig after surgery but I really don't
like it! I am just hoping that she will be in less pain by the morning and
that she starts to eat and drink again.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it, as I am at a loss to
what I can do for her!

Thanks a lot,
Nicola