[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Looking for answers

Lauren Cordeiro Lauren_Cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Fri Jul 16 22:29:10 EDT 2004

Hi,
I'm not sure what could be wrong... it depends on a few things. First of all, how many pigs are in each cage, and what size are the cages? Are they seperated by male/female? Is someone watching the cage to make sure one pig in particular isn't being ostracized and driven away from the food? Lack of energy and willingness to move can sometimes be caused by dietary problems. Lack of vitamin C can cause swelling in the pig's joints and lesions in various body tissues, and makes it painful for the animal to move. How are you supplementing your pigs' diets? Because Vit C is so unstable and does not have a shelf life of more than 3 mos. after the pellets are manufactured, you should provide additional supplementation of at least 25mg of vit C daily per pig. If you are using a supplement in their water, you want to add 100-200 mg per pig because it is so unstable in the presence of light and chlorine. If you are not able to find a chewable vit C supplement, give them enough veggies everyday to provide at least 25 mg (you'd have to look up various veggies nutritional info to be sure. Lettuce, for example does not have a lot of vit C in it.) Other symptoms of vit C deficiency can include lesions on the skin, dry, flaky skin, red or bleeding gums, and/or a rough coat.
Do you have a vet that you take them to when you see they are sick? What has he/she said about it? I don't have enough info to go by, but it may be environmental, since it doesn't sound by your description a contagious viral or bacterial infection. Have you ever had a necropsy performed on one of your guinea pigs?
I hope you can find the root of the problem.

~Lauren, Pgirl and Pooh

Hi,
   My son has 2 cages of guinea pigs. Every few months or so one dies all starting with much the same symptons. That become very slow,try to eat but spit it out and they look like they are curled up ina ball. They do not seem to be in any pain but look very unwell. They are fed a Guninea pig mix every day along with fresh fruit & veges a couple of times a week Their houses are mad of timber ( not cedar) and as we live on a farm thay have hay to keep them warm and to eat. Hope some one may have some ideas.
Thanks for your help
JO