[Gpdd] CARE: new type of bedding...

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 18 15:30:04 EDT 2004

	The bedding Brad mentioned sounds like something I'm in the
process of trying right now...Woody Pet.  It's distributed out of BC,
Canada and it's primary function is to be used as bedding in horse
stalls.  The website is www.woodypet.com  They have begun to offer the
same product, but marketed toward small pet enthusiasts...though I'm
sure this will really increase the price!  Many feed/farm stores carry
it.  I've purchased it for $4.99 per 30 pound bag.  If other states are
like Maine, there is no tax on "livestock" related purchases, so there
should be no tax on the Woody Pet...just don't tell them it's for guinea
pigs, and you may have to buy 5-10 bags at a time!  So far, I really
like it.  The directions for its use in horse stalls are exactly the
directions you should follow for GP homes.  It MUST be "stirred" to
evenly distribute and process wet spots.  I have 22 piggies in my home
right now, and the odors have been greatly reduced since putting them
mostly on the Woody Pet.  It is not designed to be completely cleaned
out of the cage/stall each week...some people may have an issue with
that.  It has truly worked best when I'm able to "stir" it once a day.
The only difficulty so far has been figuring out a way to clean out the
poops first instead of mixing them in with everything else.  I am
looking for a scoop that will work, and I'll let you know what I find!
For piggies with sensitive feet, the Woody Pet pellets may be a bit hard
for them.  In that case, I have sprinkled a light layer of shavings on
top of the Woody Pet to cushion those piggie-pigs until the moisture
content softens the pellets.  The pigs seem to like it!  Oh, yeah...you
really have to use a very small amount.  I did 1-2 inches in some cages,
then when it fluffed up, had to scoop a TON of it out!  It will fluff to
3-4 times the amount of the dry stuff!  A concern I had was wondering if
some of the piggies might try to eat it, then have it swell x3 in their
bellies.  That has not happened.  Some have "tasted" it, but spit it
back out!

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Cavy Rescue
576 Trapp Road