[Gpdd] care: Bumblefoot?

Glenda Gabriel GlendaG at sovhealth.co.za
Mon Jul 19 10:07:04 EDT 2004

Hello to everyone out there in piggyland. My name is Glenda and I'm from South Africa, Durban to be exact.  I have written into the digest before and I must say that I was so thankful for all of the advaice that I received and for all the wonderful people who care about our little friends.  Anyway on to my question. I was giving my 3 little pigs baths and I noticed something I hadn't before.  Two of my Gp's have very red skin on their hind paws on the pads.  It really is quite red and looks like dry skin althoug it's no flaking so much yet.  I don't know how else to explain it.  They do seem to be walking and running and jumping fine so I don't think it's bothering them half as much as it's bothering me. I just wanted to know if there was anyone out there who could recommend something.  My vet is quite far away and he isn't an exotics vet.  Is there a lotion or cream I can put on their feet to stop the skin from drying out? (something like what us humans use?)  At first I thought it may be bumblefoot but their bedding is a mixture of soft fresh hay, newspaper and towels and they get plenty of floor time. The bedding is changed almost every third day or sooner.

The other question I have is how do you prepare spinach (swiss chard) for the Gp's?  I just introduced it to them and I think they were more excited than popeye ever was.  The reason I ask is that it has alot of veins which i removed before giving it to them.  I also have been giving them lots of lettuce. Please can anyone tell me if the following lettuces are good or bad for GP's  and which ones do you suggest I feed: Cos, green oak, red oak, frizzy, rocket, butter lettuce.

Sorry for the long post but I haven't come across any other piggy owners in South Africa. My Condolences to all who have lost piggies.  I'm sure all the piggies are having a real good time at the rainbow bridge though.

Wheeks to all
Glenda and the 3 little pigs (gizmo, gidget and little autumn - who's not so little anymore)

  _____

*** Everything in this e-mail and attachments relating to the official business of Sovereign Health, a division of Medscheme Holdings (Pty) Ltd (Reg. Number 1970/015014/07) is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Sovereign Health does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Sovereign Health. The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way. Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.