[Gpdd] (Behavior) Re: Nippy PeeWee

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 15:56:56 EDT 2004

Kristen,
I don't know what it is about young boars, but every
one I've ever had has gone through a "nippy" stage.
It's like he's testing just how much mama slave will
take. If you're sure you don't have veggie smell on
your hands (because who can fault a piggy for trying
to bite a "veggie"--even if it's your hand?) you can
"reprimand" Pee Wee like mama pig would: lightly pull
on the fur at the scruff of the neck when he bites.
Accompany this with a "no" (don't yell at him or smack
him though, because it will hurt his feelings and he
won't understand why you are being mean to him). He'll
soon learn that it's not acceptable to play "Test the
Slave". Make sure not to hurt him, you really just
want to get his attention. I've actually seen a mama
pig do this with one of her babies that was getting a
little too rambunctious when she was trying to nap..it
worked. But the little piglet just ran off and
harassed his siblings instead : )
Also, I think he'll grow out of it in time...all my
boars grew out of their nippy stage by the time there
were around 6-8 months or so.
Hope this helps!
Stacy and the (well behaved) Squee Squad