[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] <re: boars and sows>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 21:28:03 EDT 2004

Hi Kelly,
My two pigs, one male one female, used to live next to
each other but were seperated before they were
neutered. I kept track of Piglet's cycle and would let
them have supervised play. Your description of your
boar trying to find a way out of his cage is familiar.
At the time I thought this was the best way to let
them live together, but then I got some info about
neutering and spaying, and found a vet experienced in
the procedure. I can't tell you how much better I
think their lives are now. They live together in a
large cage (since you only need one cage, you will
have room for a larger one). They have their
occasional arguments over food, but nothing violent.
They get to popcorn together and when one starts, the
other follows.

I would agree that it was Princess' scent that
probably caused Busta and Squeak's fighting. It may be
best for now to have Busta and Squeak housed next to
each other,  and Princess alone - with plenty of
attention from you. You might also consider getting
her a girlfriend, because if you're like me and are
busy a lot, your pigs need company.

Although I have had great success with housing a
neutered male and spayed female together, I honestly
don't know what it would be like if I added another
neutered male - if they would fight or what. Maybe
other people have experience with that?

Good luck,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh