[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] <re: cleaning face and breeding question>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 00:18:25 EDT 2004

Hi Susanna and the Piggie,
I usually notice my piggies cleaning their face when
they are comfortable - kind of like cats. When they
are angry/nervous, they may chatter their teeth or
perk up their heads and widen their eyes, very alert.

me because this is kind of a rant, but I'm not trying
to criticize you. :( I really like the GPDD because it
is very respectful and doesn't alienate parts of the
gpig community.

You are obviously a reasonable person aware of the
problems of substandard, unknowledgeable, "backyard"
breeders. Just as a side for people who don't know
what  that means - I was just at the Concord SPCA
today to pick up six pigs and transport them to a
rescue. They told me about the lady who dumped over 40
of them at the shelter - she was so uninformed about
the basics of gpig care, yet she called herself a
"breeder." She apparently thought the reason her pigs
kept reproducing in such numbers was that her kids
kept putting them together - which is negligent enough
- but she didn't even realize that gpigs can become
pregnant as young as three weeks!  I'm sure a lot of
the pigs are inbred. Fortunately, they are currently
all in foster homes and rescues now, awaiting
adoption. :)

You know, since you are involved in purebred dogs,
that the only way to find an animal whose family line
and genetic history you can be sure of is through a
reputable breeder. Sometimes you can find such
breeders at rabbit and cavy shows.

However, I think there is a difference between
purebred dogs/cats and cavies. Dog/cat breeds have
been developed for centuries. People choose and breed
certain dogs and cats for their particular temperment
or ability to perform a certain task - these are real
differences occurring in breeds. However, I really
have never heard that certain cavy breeds have
specific temperments or make better pets, or act any
differently than mixed-breeds. The only difference I
know of is simply physical.

I'm sure your boar is very beautiful - and he may
indeed be happy with a female pig to keep him company.
I have two pigs, a neutered male and spayed female,
who  get along like an old married couple!!:) But
simply, there are a lot of unwanted and abandoned
guinea pigs in the US needing homes. I didn't realize
it myself - my first two gpigs are from pet stores :(
- until I got more involved in the online gpig
websites and communities. Many of these pigs are very
beautiful as well! And of course, breeding a beloved
animal will not produce a replica or identical animal
as your pet - it is their souls that make them who
they are, not their genes. :)

If you are interested in raising baby piglets, which
can be fun and exciting, consider adopting a pregnant
female from a rescue.

Finally, according to a quotation from the Journal of
the American Cavy Breeders Association, a sow is at a
20% risk of death when bred. (this quote is available
on Cavy Spirit's breeding page - be warned Cavy Spirit
is rather harsh toward breeders).

I hope you are not offended - I think you are
obviously responsible and know about some of the
problems that can occur with breeders, and love your
pigs as your pets first. Maybe you weren't aware of
the number of homeless gpigs out there - I wasn't
either until recently. I would strongly suggest,
before you make up your mind, to go to
www.petfinder.org and search for available guinea pigs
in your area.

Thanks and good luck!