[Gpdd] [CARE] <re: nutrition/calcium>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 17:22:58 EDT 2004

I would not give your pig a calcium supplement beyond
what exists in his pellets, veggies, and hay. Calcium
is an important part of a gpigs diet, but the Ca:Ph
ratio is very important, especially in pigs prone to
stones. Many good brands of pellets supposedly have a
proper Ca:Ph ratio. I feel that giving your pig a
variety of veggies low in calcium, oxalic acid, and
high in vit C., as well as unlimited grass hay for
pigs 8mos-year +, in addition to a moderate/small
amount of good quality pellets, is all your pig really
needs. I also supplement my pigs with vit c. I would
not feed veggies high in Ca or give a Ca supplement,
because I would be afraid it might a)throw off the
Ca:Ph ratio and/or b) increase my pig's risk of
developing stones. (Again, I am not saying that by
giving your pig a Ca supplement you are absolutely
giving him stones - stones are varied in their
composition, cause and treatment.)
I hope I made sense here!!
Wheeeks,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh

p.s. sign up for the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpig_transport/

=====
Tens of millions of healthy companion animals are euthanized each year in the U.S.

Adopt a homeless pet.
Have your pets spayed and neutered.