[Gpdd] Health--Size of Piggie Cages

Debbie Ganley debg43 at ij.net
Sun Jun 13 20:05:07 EDT 2004

Go on www.cavycages.com- they have all the instructions for building a C&C house, with dimensions for your number of piggies, & even have kits for sale now--I built a 27x59 house last summer for Potter, after having her in the largest GP-Dwarf Bunny house that Petsmart sold on-line.  I've never been sorry for going bigger, especially since we have Molly now too, & C&C is a dream to keep clean.  The cubes are easy to get at Walmart, but the cloroplast was a devil to find & get home--you need an 8ft x 4 ft sheet to do the job & need a van or truck to get it home.  So the kit may be the way to go.  Let UPS do the dirty work! There is one smaller C&C house that I believe is ok for one piggie.  The kit prices are cheaper than you'd pay for a ready-made house, & part of the purchase price goes to a GP rescue.

Go back to Superpet & ask for a manager--one uncaring employee doesn't mean that the whole staff is that way.  Tell him that bunnies & GP's shouldn't be in the same housing--bunnies can accidently kick a pigger & do a lot of damage.  Check if Superpet separates the sexes also.  I know Petsmart will only stock the same sex in one store.  Or they're supposed to anyway.  It's hard to confront a pet store employee, but I'd speak to the manager about the little guy with the gookie eye.  If you wait for results by writing a letter, the poor little one could have major problems.Depending on his/her response, take it from there--we're not supposed to buy our piggies, as responsible slaves (it just perpetuates the pet store thing, when so many are waiting for homes in shelters) but it's hard not to!  If you get a negative response from the manager, go to your local SPCA & report the problem, write a letter to the corporate HQ's (you can probably find the address on-line)--I'm sure the others on the GPDD will have other places to report the store to also.    Good luck with your new baby--I have a feeling you'll bring the little guy home with you!  My Molly was a rescue piggie--she's a runt also, only weighs 1 lb 2oz, at about 6 months old--but she's feisty & gives Potter a run for her money!  Deb, Potter & Molly