[Gpdd] (Misc) Hand Game

Rebecca Wilmot rebecca.wilmot at permabondeurope.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 04:45:03 EDT 2004

Hi

Following Sus's message...

The hand -

You do have to differentiate between the big hand that grabs to pick the
guinea pig up / stroke the guinea pig (as the guinea pig can find this
threatening) and the 'friendly' hand.

The GP can become anti-hand as it is associated with being grabbed
rather than nice things. I put a Rody-den (little plastic house) down
for the GP to run into and be picked up in, then the lid can be lifted
off and the guinea pig can be stroked / picked up and cuddled without
panicking and running away when trying to catch the little critter.

Then the 'friendly hand' can be introduced, the first time I found out
Jimmy liked and copied 'the hand' was when he was running around the
dining room at his grandma's house.  The hand wasn't confrontational; it
was just minding its own business scuttling around, jumping and nibbling
some food. Jimmy caught sight and came up to the hand (which was minding
its own business) then he started copying the hand and jumping / running
around.

As time has gone on they have become more friendly and the hand can go
in Jimmy's cage and nuzzle Jimmy behind the ears etc.

It is very important to let the pig come to the hand rather than the
other way round so they can start trusting you but you need to be
patient.

~toodle-pip~

Bec + Jimmy

Rebecca Wilmot