[Gpdd] Health - Mites

Joanne LeBlanc joannekl at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Jun 5 07:31:43 EDT 2004

Hi!
I have been reading the GPDD for abour a year but have never had a question before. I have two piggies that are just over a year old. They came down with a case of mites a couple of weeks ago. I took them to the vet and they were treated, but one of them has lost most of the fur off his hind. The skin that is showing seems quite dry and flaky. Is this normal when recovering from mites, and will his fur grow back eventually? Also, what could have caused an outbreak of mites? Neither pig has been in contact with any animals other than our own. My kids like to pick dandelions for the piggies and our vet said that this could have been a possible source (the dandelions may have had mites from rodents in the yard). I hate to think I can't take the piggies outside this summer, but I really don't want them to go through another mite problem. Any ideas? Thanks!!
Joanne