[Gpdd] [MISC] <I heard Petco in my area kills sick animals.>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 01:56:12 EDT 2004

PetCo has a pretty bad reputation, and I'm not just saying that because I work at Petsmart (which has its own issues). Certain PetCos were actually banned in some part of California from selling animals because they had so many complaints.
There was a relatively recent lawsuit against PetCo, although part of the settlement included that the company did not have to admit any wrongdoing. You can read about it here (warning: some descriptions of abuse are disturbing):
http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/2373

I'm not saying other chain pet stores are any better, but all I know is that I have never seen anything like that happen at the store I work at, except that our betta fish are also sold in tiny cups. Certainly, there are problems with the way the small animals are in small cages, some of them in plastic bins way too small than in my opinion is appropriate, although these animals do recieve good care by everyone I know who works there. (I have been checking the gpig's cage regularly, and he has had plenty of hay and a piece of fresh orange in addition to pellets & water. I took him out the other day, and he looked healthy, although skittish, understandibly.) However, I worry about how the small animals are affected by the loud, constant racket of all the birds in the same setup. Unfortunately that is not something that can be solved at an individual store level - it's corporate's decision how the store is physically set up. Employees are trained and have to fill out like ten booklets
 about the specifics of animal care before we work in that dept. The bottom line, I think, although I may be a hypocrite, is that pet stores should not sell animals, period. You can not assure that the person you are selling to is responsible, and you know large chain stores are going to avoid having an ideal set up, for one that is merely "acceptable," for maximum economic profit. And besides, where the small animals come from is kept a secret, you know, and I don't want to blab too much and risk losing my job, but draw your own damn conclusions, you know, what am I supposed to think. Some things are ok, but not enough for me to want to buy another animal from any pet store, at least as long as there are enough homeless animals (not just cats and dogs) out there.

Whheeeks.