[Gpdd] rescue: flea market piggers

Erin Lisa Butler-Simmons veeweemama at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 23:00:07 EDT 2004

Hi slaves! Sorry I haven't posted an update on the flea market piggies sooner, but I have had my hands full!!! Thank you to everyone who send private messages and messages on the digest. I have never had so many people understand my passionate love of my favorite creature (the Cavy) ever before. I received so many words of support and encouragement, that I was overwhelmed, and felt such a huge responsibility to my fellow digest members to make sure I did right by "the 3 little pigs" that I was paralyzed and couldn't even post. Anyway......
Piggies are doing good, though not entirely out of the woods. They are named Scabbers (the boy), Sunstroke, and Spirit (the girls). Sunstroke and Spirit were named by YOU, my fellow digest members. When I asked for suggestions of a name for the most lively and tiny girl, I received THREE seperate suggestions from people in different parts of the country, for "Spirit" as a name. It was also suggested she be named "Xena" and "Gwenivere", which I also thought were awesome names. I settled on "Spirit" as she is so tiny, but so full of life. She is suffering from ringworm and scratches constantly. Her coat is rough from scurvy,yet she kisses me, jumps on top of her hidey house, nibbles my brightly painted fingernails if I put them in her face, and overall is just noisy , nosey, and adorable. Her treatment is going well, and she devours her veggies and fruit every day. She also appears to comfort Sunstroke, who although is a week or two older than her, and bigger, is very timid and shy.
 Spirit nuzzles her, grooms her, and I actually saw her bring a piece of apple to the hidey house Sunstroke was cowering under, leave it there for her, then boldy go out and eat another piece in the great wide open while I watched. She is such a joy to me.
I filed the complaint in Columbia, SC about the horrible flea-market vendor that was torturing them, and my sister, who lives in Sumter, SC will be following up this week.
Scabbers is doing well physically, and his scabs are healing, but he is alone, as my other boars are all adults and in bonded pairs. I give him lots of attention, but can tell he is lonely. He is less than a month old after all. However, he is still in quarantine, so I can't even get him a friend until his health problems are solved. He does love his new hidey house, and consumes hay and apples as fast as lightening!!!!
Thanks again for all your support on my "Pig-Venture"! You guys are awesome and I feel so privleged to be a part of this group.
Love and Warm Wheeks to you all. And if Ebeneezer Woolly Bear is listening from the Rainbow Bridge, please know that we all love you and are toasting you with carrots!!!
Erin of Chattanooga, TN