[Gpdd] [CARE] Grass/Forage Seed?

EeoRaptor at aol.com EeoRaptor at aol.com
Wed Jun 16 16:09:09 EDT 2004

Mini-pig and I seem to be getting along fine now... she's gotten used to taking food from my hand and Ive been giving her daily lap time, which she seems to enjoy.  Anyways on with my question...

I have a russian tortoise (named Vodka ^_^ ) which I grow a specially blended "forage" mix that I purchase seeds for on the web.  I grow it in a a series of small container gardens on my porch to keep them pesticide and contaminant free.  She really likes to plow into them and they're quite healthy for her.

Is there a similar thing for guinea pigs?  I know that there are several forage plants that are edible for piggies, but does anyone sell seeds or seed mixes of these plants?  Does anyone know of any literature that would recommend forage plants for piggies so maybe I can make my own seed mixes?  Ive seen several references that feeding grass is good..... but there are about a million different kinds of grass, from Crab to Kentucky blue, which ones are the good ones?

I was hoping to find info so I can grow a few containers of unblemished pesticide free forage foods for my new little buddy, no fair letting the turtle hog it all.

Im also planning on referencing whats in the turtle forage mix.. the plants are selected to be nontoxic and nutritious for reptillian browsers, but Im not so sure about Guinea pigs. If I find out that the plants are safe for both critters I'll be sure to let everyone know... I dont know if theres a great interest in providing this kind of feed for Cavies but I know the turtle folks Ive talked to live by this stuff..

Thanks in advance for any info!

Emi