[Gpdd] RE: CARE - bedding and odors...

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 17 15:52:04 EDT 2004

Just a suggestion for reducing odors in cages.  I have 19 "owners"
(because they do OWN me!) at the moment...most of those are rescues and
available for adoption.  I have found a helpful method of reducing odors
and increasing absorption.  Many of my babies use one or two corners for
toileting...some, of course, don't subscribe to this theory!  For the
neater critters, I use the corner litter pans, put a covering layer of
All Pine or other wood/paper based litter product, then fill the rest of
the litter pan with their regular bedding...I use kiln dried pine.  This
has significantly decreased the wetness in the more popular areas and
has reduced the build up of odors.  These pans are alternatively used by
the piggies as beds, so you'll have to experiment to figure out if it
works for your particular babies!

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Cavy Rescue
Auburn, ME 04210