[Gpdd] MISC gpigs and dogs

Bellarobi at aol.com Bellarobi at aol.com
Thu Jun 17 16:42:21 EDT 2004

Hi Sandy,
yes, it is definitely possible for guinea pigs and dogs to live happily
together. Our piggies were 1 1/2 year old when we bought a puppy. It was easy to
get them used to each other, just like yours, Poly and Sweetie get daily floor
time. So, we slowly introduced the new puppy, and now, a year later, I trust
them completely. I even leave the house sometimes when the piggies are out and
the dog is loose. You will know when that time comes.
I am not sure if a particular breed is friendlier towards pigs, but it will
be easier for any dog to get used to the pigs because they are already part of
the family. Of course, you need to consider that each dogs temperament is
different, and in addition to that, a rescue dog has a past. It might take a
little while to get to know and trust the dog. Maybe you could bring the piggies
with you when deciding on a dog. Those are just my thoughts on it. I have to say
though, it is very rewarding to have animals get along so well. Our dog is
very bossy by nature, and it is so nice to see her being so gentle with the
piggies and the hamster. You can tell that she just adores them.
Good luck,
Marion, Poly and Sweetie