[Gpdd] rescue: flea market sorrow

Erin Lisa Butler-Simmons veeweemama at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 20:26:59 EDT 2004

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the passing of "Spirit" (one of the three pigs I rescued from the horrible man at the SC flea market 2 weeks ago) I thought Spirit was the most likely to survive, as she was so "spirited" and vocal. She took care of Sunstroke, who was larger and a few weeks older. Just this morning she jumped on top of her hidey house and took an orange slice from my hand. Then, when I went to give the piggies their evening meal, I found Spirit dead in her hidey house, with Sunstroke snuggled up next to her body. I am devastated, as this is my first piggie death, and heartbroken, as I became very attatched to Spirit in the two short weeks that I had her. She really suffered as a result of not getting her mothers milk. Remember the vet said she was less than a week old when I rescued her. The other two (Scabbers and Sunstroke) have been steadily growing and putting on weight in the last 2 weeks, but Spirit never grew or gained an ounce, in spite of her
 voracious appetite. I guess the lack of colustrum and anti-bodies from her Mother's milk really weakened her immune system. I am just so sad and so angry at the horrible man who tried to sell her so young just to make a buck. She was truly a wonderful Spirit, and brought me so much joy in the 2 short weeks that I had her. The only thing that gives me any comfort is knowing she was loved, in an air-conditioned house with a roomy cage, had unlimited hay and veggies, was LOVED BIG TIME, and seemed very happy the last 2 weeks of her extremely short life. I am so depressed and can't stop crying. Rod, if you could please add her to the rainbow bridge, I would appreciate it. To my fellow slaves (who named Spirit) please light a candle for her tonight and pray for the other 2 to survive. The rest of my herd seems to sense her passing, as they are very quiet tonight and not even touching their hay or veggies.
In mourning, Erin of Chattanooga, and the unhappy herd of grieving piggies