[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Treatment of abcess

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 17:08:27 EDT 2004

My Soulage has an abcess about the size of a small marble on her side -
around the shoulder. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all - she's still
running around, chief wheeker as usual and chomping her way through her veggies
like there's no tomorrow. But I am worried. Took her to the vet today but she was
running late and I had to leave without seeing her as I had to get to work.

The abcess is a pinkish lump with a little hole in the middle. I'm pretty
sure my vet won't know what to do, so can anyone offer any advice? I've looked it
up on Google, but the peroxide bit, lancing and all that seem a bit scarey,
and everywhere seems to advocate antibiotics - so it looks like it needs to be
a vets' job.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experienced anything similar in
their piggie. I know abcesses can become really serious if not properly
treated. My vet doesn't have a particularly good track record as regards my piggies,
so it would be great to be able to give her some pointers. Oh, and please,
don't tell me to find an exotics vet - they don't exist in rural France, this
woman is the best I can find in that at least she does try, and she's willing to
take advice from me.

Condolences to all whose piggies have recently crossed The Bridge - we all
know what good company they are in,

Debbie (and her 19 Dolly Mixtures)