[Gpdd] CARE: New piglet meets old boar...

Katey Durkin katey at deadgoon.f2s.com
Tue Jun 22 16:34:45 EDT 2004

Hi everyone, I've been reading the digest everyday for weeks now and am really grateful for all the advide I've gleaned so far.  I have a one year old male boar, Bertie, who is ridiculously laid back, a real lap pig. He lives in a huge cage in my lounge and has always been very playful and happy. Recently though, he seemed much quieter and a little miserable. Time then to get him a friend.

A local rescue let me spend the afternoon watching all their piggies and helped me chose a tiny male aby, advising that as he's so much smaller than Bert the pup would be naturally submissive. Back at home after a neutral introduction the pair seemed very tolerant of each other. Bert won't stop rumblestrutting though, and he's starting to annoy me so God knows how the little one feels. Here's my problem, the new piggy is quite obviously the dominant one (amazing since he's 1/3 the size!). Will this make Bert miserable? I'm not sure he seems so happy about it. the lady at the animal shelter said that if they're not fighting (which they aren't at all) then they are better together than alone. Is this true? Has anyone ever had a hen pecked piggy who's happier on his own?

Thanks in advance for all your help, katey xx (and Bertie and a small as-yet-unamed ball of fluff)