[Gpdd] (Health) Bladder Stones, Potassium, Etc

p37r4-n3f3ru-nu-n3b7-5 petra-nef at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 23 00:44:52 EDT 2004

	Hello all,

	I was wondering if anyone out there would have any information on the
results of the following tests: liver function, potassium levels,
hydration. The background - my 4 1/2 year old female pig presented with
bloody urine and was diagnosed with a bladder infection and bladder sludge
of calcium oxylate. A course of enrofloxacin took care of the infection,
but not the sludge. I am already following the prescribed diet for bladder
stones - Oxbow pellets, Timothy Hay, no spinach, parsley, celery or
strawberries. The second round of testing showed *more* sludge in the
urine, an elevated liver function, a potassium level of 12 where 8.5 is
normal, and she was also dehydrated, for which I have no explanation. Clean
filtered water is freely available, always has been. The vet wanted to put
her on potassium citrate to control the bladder sludge, but obviously we
cannot do that if her potassium level is already this high.

	Does *anyone* have any experience with high potassium levels, and/or
bladder sludge for a pig already on a stone-preventative diet?
We are stumped.

Thanks,
Pam